You need new blinds and you need to know how to measure your windows for blinds before you can even begin to think about the next step. Lucky for you we have you covered from measuring vertical blinds for sliding glass doors, to measuring for blinds for typical windows. Start by purchasing or borrowing a metal tape measure that can record measurements to within an 1/8th of an inch.
Inside mount window coverings are the most common type and are mounted inside the window frame.
To find the width: Measure exact distance to the nearest 1/8″ between inside surfaces of window frame at the top, middle, and bottom. Use the narrowest width. Do not make any width deductions. The factory will make the appropriate deductions.
To find the height: Measure exact distance to the nearest 1/8″ from inside surface at top of window to sill at the left, middle, and right. Use the longest height. If you prefer blind not to touch sill, deduct 1/4″. If there is no sill, measure to the point where blind is to reach.
Outside mount window coverings are mounted outside the window frame and cover the entire window. It is best to allow for some overlap in this case. For outside mount window covering applications, allow the blind or shade to overlap 1 1/2″ to 3″ on the sides, top, and bottom of the window.
To find the width: Measure exact distance to the nearest 1/8″ between the outermost points where the blind is to be placed. For optimum light control, this measurement should extend 3/4″ beyond the window opening on each side (or 1 1/2″ for the entire width)
To find the height: Measure exact distance to the nearest 1/8″ from where top of blind will be located to top of sill. If there is no sill or if blind is to overlap window frame, measure to point blind is to reach.
Measuring vertical blinds for sliding glass and patio doors can be a little tricky at times. Note that for your safety; blinds installed on windows near wall or baseboard heaters must clear the heaters by 12″ above and 6″ to the side. Make sure there are no obstructions on either side of the window that may prevent you from ordering a wider blind.
1. Measure the width of the area to be covered at the place where the head rail will be installed. The Vertical Blind should overlap opening at least 4″ on each side to ensure privacy.
2. Measure the height of the area to be covered at the left, center and right. Blind should extend at least 3″ above opening or window molding.
3. To ensure easy access through the door and allow adequate overlap, consider the stack width.
4. For installations to the floor, deduct 1/2″ from the shortest height for proper clearance.
5. Specifying outside mount measurements means the factory makes allowances for head rail deductions only.
What is the next step? Time to choose the perfect window fashions to accentuate your home and your personal style. Time to shop BlindsMax for the best price “Guaranteed” and we mean it. If anyone else has a lower price on the same blinds or shades, we will match it AND give you 10% off your order provided it is verifiable and not below our cost. We are waiting to serve you.
Others Also Read:
Latest posts by Blindsmax (see all)
- 10 Reasons to Replace Your Blinds - December 16, 2013
- 5 Ways Window Blinds Operate - December 10, 2013
- 10 Easy Step-By-Step Ways to Brighten Up Your Home - December 6, 2013